View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1971 Boston Whaler Outrage 21 weight question
sraab928
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/14 - 4:41 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

So I took my newly acquired Outrage to the public scale yesterday to see where I am in the drying phase as I had some clear areas of water intrusion when I bought her. Those areas appear to be dry at this point.

She is on a trailer (of course) but completely bare hull as I have stripped her for fiberglass restoration work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47...pvrbng.jpg

The scale read 2580 pounds. (truck disconnected and off scale) I am not 100% sure on trailer weight at this point - the certificate of origin and trailer id tag indicate 800 pounds. So assuming that is correct we are left with a hull weight of 1780 pounds. (I have no way to weigh just trailer at this time)

From my research the hull with standard equipment should weight 1600 pounds. When I look at the brochure this what they consider standard equipment for an Outrage I.

Teak console with rail and windscreen
Upholstered Pilot seat on insulated fiberglass base
Teak hatch and platform
Stern Rail around motor
rub rail
bow & stern lights
Compass
Fire extinguisher
Morse MT controls
Mechanical steering

I guess I can try to weigh these items to see what it adds to total. Right now without these items I am guessing there is still 20 some odd gallons of water in there somewhere. With these items I could probably double that estimation.

I currently have about 20 some odd holes in bottom of boat in various areas. The only areas where I had moisture were the very front (anchor locker drain problem - floor cut out and wet foam removed) and very rear (rear drain tube issue) - The rest of the holes had dry white foam. I tried to figure where water could intrude and inspected all areas. The boat has no delamanation from the foam- Quite solid in that respect. The boat has been stored in an enclosed tent in the Florida sun for a few months now - Average temperature inside the tent during the day is around 120 degrees. I have seen it as high as 130. At this point I have no drips or visible moisture anywhere. I stick bounty paper towels in the holes to act like wicks - they are now dry.

Any other thoughts or am I just pissing in the wind at this point? I know some of my friends have questioned my sanity at this point.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Weatherly
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/14 - 5:04 AM

Comments: 4

Have you done a hammer test of your hull? Tap the entire bottom below the waterline to determine if you have any separation. Tap any suspect area(s) with a hard plastic tap hammer.

An estimated 1780 lbs for your hull is very good. I estimated that #001 was over 1 ton, with lots of water in the hull. She dripped for days; the best you can do is seal all water intrusion spots in the deck and hull.

We put a through hull brass tube in the anchor locker of #001, to solve the problem of standing water.

Edited by Weatherly on 05/08/14 - 5:17 AM

sraab928
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/14 - 5:55 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Yes I have done the hammer test - the hull is solid. My boat has a copper drain tube (looks like residential water pipe) that goes from bow locker all the way to stern sump area. This tube is intact but the the way the factory installed it baffles me. Where they "t" it up to the drain they should have used an elbo - but instead used a "t" then just forward of the drain they just crimped the end over with pliers or something. This clearly leaked forward and aft. My solution will be the same - I will drain it through the bottom like my 19 was and will cap off the copper tube as its just asking for trouble.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 4:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,031,600 unique visits