View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Advice on shade for 170 Montauk
waco72
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 1:22 PM

Comments: 0

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for portable shade on a 170 Montauk. I am not interested in a bimini over the pilot seat but was looking for something more portable to use as needed which could be used to cover either the bow cushion seating area or the aft seating. I would only use it occasionally and do not feel the need to install something permanently.

I tried Taylor's Anchor Shade last year and returned it after setting it up because it seemed very cheaply made and had many poor reviews based on its quality.

I always boat in the ocean and typically it is very windy when sitting anchored. I do not need something that needs to stay up when underway. I have seen various umbrellas and even thought of possibly putting one in the fishing rod holder attached to the console but figured with the wind it would end up cracking the holder or smashing my windshield.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MG56
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 4:02 PM
Personal Page

You began asking by excluding probably your best solution. Bimini top mounted on rails so you can position it where you need it, and store it where you want it.

It is just so much more easy to deal with than "Maybe I grab the umbrella contraption".

Bake
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 5:31 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

Well you have omitted just about every form of shade that could be erected on the boat. You could try a Mexican sombrero! Just kidding a little there. I have a umbrella that was first used on the patio of a Mexican restaurant, Big yellow with a corona logo on it. It is heavy built and the pole is only slightly smaller than the inside diameter of a rod holder. I think if you were to mount a rod holder and get a umbrella with a large pole you could drill a hole in the pole and pass a cord through it to tie the umbrella when it was up .

waco72
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 6:03 PM

Maybe I will just stick with a bimini. I was just seeing if anyone knew of any other products since I store boat in my garage and T-top wouldn't work and since it the shade would only be used a couple times as season. Thanks for responses

Edited by waco72 on 05/01/14 - 6:04 PM

Super Sporter
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 6:22 PM
Personal Page

I know a guy selling a bimini top on this site.
About half the price of a new one:)

Bake
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 6:36 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

not to try to jump line but if waco says no could i get the info on the top. Thanks

Harvey Boysen
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 8:00 PM
Personal Page

Waco
I have a 170 with a bimini and it is great. It is really flexible. I can secure it or put it down to run. I usually take it off in the winter but in the heat of the summer it provides more shade than anything else I've looked at.
I fish inshore and offshore North, South Carolina and Texas and shade in the summer is really appreciated.
The only problem is that the system wasn't designed very well by BW and it is difficult to secure down when running or trailering.

waco72
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/14 - 8:51 AM

Harvey Boysen wrote:
Waco
I have a 170 with a bimini and it is great. It is really flexible. I can secure it or put it down to run. I usually take it off in the winter but in the heat of the summer it provides more shade than anything else I've looked at.
I fish inshore and offshore North, South Carolina and Texas and shade in the summer is really appreciated.
The only problem is that the system wasn't designed very well by BW and it is difficult to secure down when running or trailering.

Thanks for the info. Just for fun I called the closest Whaler dealer and they quoted me just over $1400 to have one installed. At this point might be some wide brimmed hats for the family for now.

blacksmithdog
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/14 - 3:38 AM
Personal Page

The Bimini on my Montauk 170 is a Carver:

http://dealerguide.carvercovers.com/b...splay/2121

You can't buy directly from Carver, but they list their dealers on line:

I think I got mine from these folks:

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/irect.com/

Looks like one in Sundura with stainless fittings is $422 with free shipping. They are very easy to install yourself.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 4:35 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,694,594 unique visits