View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
whaler porpoise
fire dragon
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 11:46 AM

Comments: 0

Have a 15 ft dauntless w/70 hp 4 stroke yamaha. Has a 13 1/2x 15 alum. Prop. Takes a while to get on a plane and starts to porpoise when starting to trim out. What would cause this? Have the motor up two holes out of three on transom. Want to avoid putting tabs on it any help out there??

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 11:51 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

There should be 4 bolt holes on the top of the motor bracket. (maybe 5)

Which hole from the top does the bolt go through?
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...cle_id=106

You already have an ongoing thread with replies in your other post here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=19086

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/01/14 - 11:53 AM

gary0319
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 12:31 PM
Personal Page

I have a 15 Dauntless with a Merc 60 2 stroke. I went to an 11 pitch stainless prop and that helped with both the hole shot, now less than 3 seconds, and the propoising. I also have a Dole fin that helps, too. Top GPS speed is about 34mph, which is OK with me. All that said, the Dauntless 15 still remains tender to the trim. Adding a body or 2 up front helps a lot., but 4 on my Dauntless is pretty crowded.

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Bake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 12:39 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

google lifting props or props that lift. Even a small 4 blade prop might be the trick. I know you said no tabs but tabs or smart tabs might be the alternitive. You may need something to extend the running surface of the boat. and find a way to move as much weight forward as you can.

fire dragon
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 7:42 PM

Sorry guys, did have another thread going but could not get to it. Thought someone deleted it. But anyway, someone did suggest a dolfin but cant seem to get over the look when its on the trailer. Would a 4" jack plate center the boat out a little better?? When i finish tinkering with it, ill post some picts for suggestions. Thank you all

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/14 - 8:42 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

fire dragon wrote:
Sorry guys, did have another thread going but could not get to it. Thought someone deleted it.

There are two places to find your Recent Threads or Posts.
1. Right on the front page of this site at the top of the Active discussion section.
Click on Recent Threads if you want to find questions you initiated.

2. Click on your name and this will bring up your profile where you can see all the posts or threads you ever made.
Complete history of everything you (or anyone) has ever done here.
You can also view everyone else's profile too by clicking on their name.

Other post is now locked as it is not necessary to have the same question twice from the same person which gets confusing for most all of us.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/01/14 - 8:48 PM

huckelberry145
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/14 - 8:12 AM

Comments: 3

fire dragon wrote:someone did suggest a dolfin but cant seem to get over the look when its on the trailer.

Yep, tell me about it. I hate having to rely on a hydrafoil/dolfin to keep mine from porpoising, but if I want to be able to use it, I had to attach one. Take it from someone who has resigned to the fact that my hull has some sort of "rocker" in it now and that some sort of action will need to be taken. You can spend valuable time moving batteries and fuel cells around in the boat to no avail or you can go right to the problem and, like bake said put a set of smart tabs on it and be done. I would put a set on my boat but my house is getting every extra dollar I have.

dauntless-n-miami
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/14 - 10:08 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello Fire Dragon and a question, how far above the keel center-line is your outboards cavitation plate?

If your motor sits low on the transom then the Aluminum prop will suffice but, if mounted all up or where your cavitation plate sits anywhere from 1 to 1-1/4 and even 1- 3/8 of an inch above the keel then a stainless prop should be considered.

The Dauntless 15 from my own experience is extremely senitive too to much positive trim. Trim tabs if hydraulic or electric may not be as efficient as you may think. Due to the length of the hull and its narrow beam along with ever changing water conditions properly adjusting the tabs to avoid porpoising may be more frustating than practical. I have Bennett hydraulic tabs on my Dauntless 15 and have adjusted them very very few times. The hull reacts to quickly to the tab input which could make for an "interesting" boat ride.

I have been testing a few different pre-set positions with my tabs for the sole purpose of generating a bit longer running surface when getting on plane but without affecting the ride attitude of the bow. Also I have changed to a different stainless prop modeled after Yamaha's "semi-cleaver" style which is suppose to offer improved stern lift capabilities. Its manufactured by Power Tech it a 13" Dia. x 17" pitch but I am still in the testing phase with the prop.

Hope the bit of info can be useful to you...happy boating
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

gary0319
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/14 - 12:33 PM
Personal Page

fire dragon wrote:
But anyway, someone did suggest a dolfin but cant seem to get over the look when its on the trailer.

I understand the reluctance on the fin. I took mine off, but finally put it back on and have grown to ignore the look on the trailer. In the water I don't see it, nor does anyone else. I have noticed that s great many of the smaller boats in my area have the Dolfin or other fin. Short boats need help.

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Finnegan
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/14 - 1:09 PM

Comments: 16

Since the Yamaha 70 has a "Bigfoot" gear case, prop choices are limited at such a low HP rating.

If price is an issue, I believe the Mercury 3 blade Black Max and 4 blade aluminum Spitfire are the best aluminum props on the market, and should be considered, at only $149-$159. Boston Whaler shows 150 Super Sport performance of 36 MPH with a Merc 60 Bigfoot and a Black Max aluminum prop. Not bad results at all.

For this Dauntless, the brand new design 4 blade Spitfire should be looked at, for only $159 complete with hub kit, to your door.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propelle.../spitfire/

See jacosmarine.com to purchase.

Bake
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/14 - 2:21 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

Good information on the aluminum 4 blade... that is the direction i would try for sure.

Phil T
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/14 - 7:58 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Porpoising can be exacerbated by weight in the stern. A Yamaha 70 hp 4 stroke motor is not light.

While one can play with a foil or tabs, it is recommended to review the weight distribution in the boat. While your options are limited on a Dauntless 15, a review is warranted never the less.

One way to see the effect of weight balance is to have a passenger in the bow and go from a standing start to a cruising speed.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 1:53 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,979,209 unique visits