View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
drain questions on a 1963 13 footer
Jpkelley11
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/14 - 4:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I was planning on putting a garboard drain on the bottom of my 1963 13 foot whaler. I want to do this because when the boat is not in use (in the winter and in the driveway periodically during the season) I want to be able to unscrew the plug and let any water in the foam to drain out. The boat floats pretty much at the normal height and moves along pretty well so there isn't much water in the hull. I just got the boat last year and did some work to the bottom so I'm sure there's got to be a little water in it. I know a lot of you will say it wont do anything but whatever I'm going to put it on anyways unless someone really convinces me not to. I was planning on putting it about a foot in from the very back since I did some repairs back there and I wanted it to be as close to the keel as possible. My question is how close can I get to the keel that I don't hit any strutcural wood?

Also I am replacing the brass drain tube going through the splashwell but the tube going through the transom was replaced professionally 5 years ago the prev owner told me. I have to tube which came pre flared on one end and I have the 2 o-rings and I have 5200 sealant. Is this too hard to do myself or is it just worth it to have a professional do it? I live near metan marine so I'm sure they could do it in a reasonable amount of time.

If anyone could provide help/advice it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/14 - 4:31 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Drain tubes are fairly simple.
I have done several boats without much problem.

See our article here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=42

Jpkelley11
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/14 - 5:01 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Joe, where do I get one of those flaring tools and would it be worth buying one? How much are they?

wing15601
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/14 - 5:20 PM

Are you talking about putting a garboard drain plug on the bottom of the boat?? What do you mean by, "a foot in from the back"? Don't put that plug on the bottom of the boat. I wouldn't even bother with it at all. You could put a garboard plug on the transom but how do you know how high to put it to clear the glass of the bottom and be into the foam? The keel is really thick back there and the transom is cored with wood. If there is water in there, how will you seal the wood core of the transom where you drill? If you do proceed it may take years, if ever, to dry out any water.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 1:35 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,037,940 unique visits