View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
HELP Needed on purchasing B-W on Ebay that I think is a Scam!
lightbulbbill
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 11:58 AM

Comments: 0

Many have read about me wanting to purchase a 2003 B-W 130 Sport w/40hp Merc for ONLY $2475..from a site in Miami. The owner is supposedly a Female Marine Sgt..living & owning boat in Miami..but stationed for awhile in Great Lakes, IL.

Know She mentioned an earlier buyer on Ebay (private showing) who couldn't get a loan (!)...and said I could now have it..and would put boat back onto Ebay on Tuesday morn April 23rd..but in a PRIVATE AUCTION..ONLY VISABLE TO PRE-APPROVED BIDDERS or BUYERS...ME, I assume.

She didn't follow through with emailing me yesterday as promised (23rd)...so I emailed her a slightly tart note this 24th morn...and Voila, she just emails me back that it's on Ebay (I assume hidden since I can't see it online..just on my phone message she sent). I only have til midnight tonight to make a deal since she obviously put it up yesterday as she said she would.

Deposit is higher than I've ever seen..$1,475..and due within 24 hrs of auction close..with full payment due within 10 days of auction close. States that this item is eligible for up to $50,000 in Vehicle Purchase Protection. So, what if the title is forged or whatever?!

Note that the Ebay shield info states the seller as "smed66usa" with 73* transactions & a 100% positive feedback. I will look that up.

I'm confused...SOo What do you think?

Edited by lightbulbbill on 04/23/14 - 12:00 PM
"Lightbulb" BiLL

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 12:09 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

It is better to respond to your other post you started so everyone here knows what you are talking about.

Here is your other thread you started.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=19271

lightbulbbill
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 12:39 PM

JOE!!! I'm frantic about whether to purchase this way underpriced 2003 B-W 130 Sport w/40hp Merc & trailer..and whether the seller (female marine Sgt) is actual owner!

Sorry about starting new post, but I wanted a new title to reflect my immediate needs & concerns..whereas the old post title was worn and not being looked at anymore imo!

So..I just emailed her Ebay source (that she sent to me in the form of an email, but not showing up on Ebay itself since private sale). This person who has an Ebay account is to perform a private sale for her obviously (he's "smed66usa"..who has 75 transactions but only a one-star rating; same as mine as a buyer only.

She wants $1495 deposit down..and balance in 10 days. Feel that's a bit high (since $500 is norm).

WHAT DO YOU THINK JOE?!

"Lightbulb" BiLL

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 12:46 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I have never given a deposit on eBay and don't expect I ever will.

When the auction ends, tell them you will be there immediately therefore not needing to send a deposit.
If the boat is for sale, then it should be ready for pickup.

Otherwise, I think you already know the answer as you are already frantic and it is most likely a Scam.

I will delete the other duplicate post.
As a reminder though, the posts are still active in the discussion areas, just not on the front page if they are older then a day generally.
Here is the entire Discussion Area page.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/in.../index.php

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/23/14 - 12:48 PM

Jay Fitz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 1:08 PM
Personal Page

If you think it's a scam, then what do you want us to tell you? Just walk away and find another boat...there is a ton of 13's out there for sale.

Let it go and move on...

gary0319
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 1:11 PM
Personal Page

lightbulbbill wrote:
JOE!!! I'm frantic about whether to purchase this way underpriced 2003 B-W 130 Sport w/40hp Merc & trailer..and whether the seller (female marine Sgt) is actual owner!

Sorry about starting new post, but I wanted a new title to reflect my immediate needs & concerns..whereas the old post title was worn and not being looked at anymore imo!

So..I just emailed her Ebay source (that she sent to me in the form of an email, but not showing up on Ebay itself since private sale). This person who has an Ebay account is to perform a private sale for her obviously (he's "smed66usa"..who has 75 transactions but only a one-star rating; same as mine as a buyer only.

She wants $1495 deposit down..and balance in 10 days. Feel that's a bit high (since $500 is norm).

Figure out how much this foolhardy learning experience is worth to you and send her that amount. You will lose whatever amount it is. IMHO

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 1:21 PM

lightbulbbill,
I am an adventuresome and trusting sort. I purchased my 1998 Dodge diesel out of state off Craigslist. The fellow offered to drive it if I mailed money for fuel. My wife said "...you may kiss that money goodbye..." . I had the fellow drive to the Gridley Colorado Police Department (I cross referenced the phone numbers and called back later). I asked to speak with the officer manning the desk. Told him of my intentions to purchase, he said that he had no empowerment to enforce, I understood. I asked if the fellow looked like a "good ol' boy" and if there was a truck in front of the station. He said yes to both. I asked if I got scammed, would he accept my call and take note that a local stuck me. He said sure. I ended up with a nice truck that was $3500 below local asking price with a neat story. I was prepared to lose the $300 or so bucks if it fell through.

I have read your other post. I believe it is a scam but, Hey! Who knows (I may be owing a sincere apology to the seller of a 1986 18ft Outrage)! Some one mentioned speaking to the bases Chaplain. You can have the person go to the police and verify information. You can also be throwing away $500 on a chance. Personally, if I was selling a boat that cheap with the conniptions you are putting me through, I'd sell to one of the hundreds of back up offers just to get it sold. If you like your Whaler Jet Drive, some smoldered wires that did no serious structural damage, $500 could be spent there.

gchuba

Super Sporter
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 1:42 PM
Personal Page

It is a scam Move on.

I had my 2004 180 Dauntless for sale on Craigslist. Guy e-mailed me wanted to give me full asking price
for my "vehicle". Said he was in Merchant Marines and at sea and could not meet me. He said he would send Cashiers Check for boat and for shipping. He wanted me to ship it when I received check.

I felt it was a scam, went with my gut did not do it and never regretted it.

This maybe a different situation, but the story is awfully familiar.

Edited by Super Sporter on 04/23/14 - 1:44 PM

lightbulbbill
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 5:06 PM

thanks Guys..to all of you for taking your time & giving your thoughts..especially Gchuba who writes long like me! LOL.

Well, I'm still hanging in there with thoughts of what to do..since have til tomorrow around midnight PST to buy. I did do two things to quieten my fears of scam..sent her an email to call me or else so we can actually talk..and also sent an email to her Ebay friend who's putting boat on his account (which is interesting in that he's had 72 sales over 12 years, with 56 five star feedbacks..including a $7500 car he sold last time).

More later..with either a teary story of how I lost my arse & my deposit..or purchasing a great boat cheaply (eat your hearts out! Haaa.).. or that I took Gchuba's advice and decided to fix up the old gal I have (1993 B-W Rage 14' Jet).

Cheers, BiLL

Edited by lightbulbbill on 04/23/14 - 5:24 PM
"Lightbulb" BiLL

gchuba
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 6:20 PM

Bill,
In no way, shape, or form, would I tell you what to do, but if you have a ha! ha! story I would not mind salvage rights to your old jet drive. Just please be careful.

Garris Chuba

lightbulbbill
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/14 - 11:33 PM

Well...I took the advice of you smart B-W boat owners..and didn't lose my $1475 deposit to a female crook (or was it a male crook when all is known?) who claimed she was a Marine Drill Sgt.!

Saying...a "person" sent me a personal email this morn with a Ebay looking page with a "private offer" to purchase a sweet 2003 B-W 130 Sport w/40hp Merc & trailer for only $2475..and I just about bit on it.

But, I called Ebay late tonight and through one of their reps was able to hear that the Ebay offer she emailed me was fake..the Ebay selling agent was fake..and the item number was fake!

So, I'll take that savings and put it on needed electrical parts for my old 1995 B-W 14' Rage Jet which I've enjoyed for over 15 years..from Annapolis' Spa Creek/Chesapeake Bay..to Ft Meyer/Sannibel/Captiva to all over the East Coast (Hilton Head Island, SC now) and lakes in NC & SC.

Thanks again Guys for saving my funds. Cheers, BiLL

"Lightbulb" BiLL

mtown
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/24/14 - 4:55 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Just as a follow up, a "cashiers check" as payment only means that the funds were in the account when the check was issued. I sold a car to an out of state business that restores sports cars. The buyer stated he would send a cashiers check for payment and have the car picked up by roll back.
It was not until I took the check to my bank that I learned it still had to clear the issuing bank like any personal check. The buyer was legit and the car was not picked up for almost a week, but I did have some bad thoughts for a couple days.

Binkie
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/24/14 - 9:27 AM
Personal Page

Tell this seller that your brother in Miami will take a look at the boat and if it suits him, he will pay her cash on the spot. So please send address. see where that takes you. LOL

Rich

dgoodhue
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/24/14 - 4:15 PM

You are wasting your time with this one. They don't have the boat and they are trying to separate you from your money. Their is no winning situation for you.

Dave

Jay Fitz
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/24/14 - 5:03 PM
Personal Page

Interestingly enough, I think I stumbled onto a CL scam today. There is a listing for a RARE, Almost NEW 1987 Outrage "cutty" on Cape Cod...always been garaged, low hours, fresh water only, super console w/ sink (??).

So I sent an email asking for pictures, year of motor and how could a Cape Cod boat have never been in salt water?? I received a reply to check the ad again, pictures have been added, and another reply after that to "call Charlie with questions".

So, I recently replied back that there are still no pictures in the listing and they did not provide a phone number for "Charlie".

I have not received another reply...seems very fishy.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 5:54 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Silverbaywhaler70
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,020
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,048,160 unique visits