View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Difficulty winching 170 Montauk
oldnstoked
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 4:29 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 2008 170 Montauk that I have just recently pulled from the water after being in for 2 months. The boat is new for me. I was surprised on how difficult it was to crank up. Any help would be appreciated. The trailer is a Karavan that is made for the boat.
Oldy

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 5:14 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The effort required to winch the boat is based on how far in the water you put the trailer.

Ideally, you want to have the trailer deep enough so the boat will float up to 1' away from the bow stop. Then winch the last bit. Some owners put blue/black tape on the front left tire fender to mark the right water line to know when the trailer is at the right depth.

Be careful getting your tow vehicle too close to the water. Most stock trailers have a short tongue so you may need to have the rear wheels at the waters edge.

I added a Fulton 4' swing tongue extention to my trailer to help me get the trailer farther in the water while keeping the vehicle out of the water. see my project album. I highly recommend this upgrade to all owners.

Launching and retrieving is all about technique.

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 6:17 AM

Oldy,

It may not be legal in NY but we generally use the engine to power onto the trailer when recovering. To do this we back the trailer into the water until the bunks are submerged with only the front six or so inches above water. We then power/drive onto the trailer until the boat just touches the stop.

When this method is impractical we sometimes have to wade at the ramp to attach the winch strap to the bow eye. We then winch the boat up. Even in this case we like to sink the bunks as described above. If your tow vehicle trailer combo allows it is useful to back down until the entire bunk is under water then pull forward to get the first six inches out, This serves to lubricate the bunks.

When the bunks are submerged too deeply it may be difficult for the boat to center itself on the trailer when retrieving. If this happens the trailer can be backed down the ramp again until the rear is floating while the bow remains forward.

If your ramp makes all this impossible sink the ramps as much as possible. Also spray the carpet at the top of the bunks with silicon spray after you park the trailer after launching. This will make the bunks nice and slippery when you retrieve.

A little practice will make this very easy.

Edited by butchdavis on 11/12/13 - 6:23 AM
Butch

wezie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 7:26 AM

Phil is always right on.

As he says, placing the trailer as deep as practical will help. Karavan is a bunk trailer so friction is a factor. The deeper the trailer, the less friction. Karavan is also a good trailer, and they have great service. And you most likely have the swing tongue.
Many of these discussions take into account the ramp you primarily use. Some discussions forget that the angle of the ramp is very important. Therefore, you may want to consider which ramp will be your most frequent and adapt to that one.

There are also many discussions of products to smooth the bunks.
I would begin with liquid rollers spray. Then there are a bunch of plastic "slicks" that can be added.
With our lake down, We are launching from the shore. The slope is often too gradual, so I added plastic bunk caps. They help. The style of these caps and is a whole new discussion and that can most likely be found in search.
As Phil mentioned, technique is truly the primary factor.

One more thing, "difficult to load" is subjective from one to the next person; so we do not really know how much strain was on your winch. When pulling with lines cables and even straps, beware of the kick back if they break. Even a short length will snap back if it breaks. It is just a good habit to stay to the side and out of line of anything under stress.

Good Luck

wing15601
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 7:32 AM

There is a product called "Liquid Rollers" which, when sprayed onto the bunk carpeting before retrieving your boat will make those bunks as slick as glass. You don't need to soak it, just a quick spray. Be careful, the boat will slide right back off if you don't have someone snap on the winch cable right away.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

blacksmithdog
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 9:40 AM
Personal Page

oldnstoked:

I have the same boat as you, a Montauk 170. I do as Phil says, get the trailer plenty deep, and drive the boat up to about a foot of the bow stop. My wife hooks the winch strap up to the bow eye and winches it the rest of the way. She has no problem.

oldnstoked
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 11:13 AM

Thanks guys. You all have been very helpfull. Need to get expierence. I'm in NY so I really didn't want to wade in but my thought was I didn't go deep enough.
Oldy

P.S. love that friggin boat.

gary0319
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 3:05 PM
Personal Page

All good advice. My 15 Dauntless is pretty light weight so I don't
"power" it on. I've found that if I have just about 8" of bunk showing above the water she will slide right up so I can attach the winch cable and bring it up the last 2 feet or so. Too deep and the bow wants to go under the winch, too shallow and the boat stops short and is hard to winch.

It took about 6 times to get this figured out....just keep trying.

Gary

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

kamie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/13 - 4:23 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

All the karavan trailers are float on trailers, that means you need to drop the trailer in far enough to sink the majority of the trailer into the water. Liquid Rollers can help but if you really want an easy time cranking up the boat, find a way to put some keel rollers on the trailer.

blacksmithdog
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/13 - 4:54 AM
Personal Page

I will say this, my two previous trailers had these on the bunks:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/produ...rchID=4006

It was a lot easier to get the boats on and off the trailers.

My Montauk 170 has carpeted bunks, and sometimes it seems like the boat is glued to the bunks.

lsucole
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/14/13 - 8:14 AM

Just get some silicone spray and spray your bunks after you launch your boat. It will last thru several launches -- BUT BE CAREFUL --- your boat will fly off and on!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 7:22 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,710,215 unique visits