View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1989 Whaler 27 FC ...What a Trip!
jvz
#41 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/13 - 7:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Doc Holiday's line was from "Tombstone"

Catch the first slight offshore breeze in the Gulf in October, and run
that 27 & those Yamaha's out to rig 721L B - A quick 8 mile round trip!

Silentpardner
#42 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/13 - 8:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

The tricky part will be actually being available if there is a slight offshore breeze in October. I'll keep that rig in mind though! might have to do laps back and forth to Freeport:)

Silentpardner
#43 Print Post
Posted on 10/24/13 - 12:15 AM
Personal Page

Started out in rough weather Monday to pick up the boat at LMC Marine in Houston TX where the new motors and electronics were installed. I use our F-350 to pull this boat, it has the camper special springs and the 6.7 L diesel, and the cab is real nice for riding around in as well. I was told the boat was ready for me with all work done a couple of weeks prior, so I went to LMC Friday before pick up to insure it was actually complete. I found a couple of small things, the XM Weather/Music was not tied into my speaker system and the mast light was extended too far to allow me to lower the radar arch for trailering. I was assured these items would be taken care of and the boat cleaned up for travelling to Surfside TX Monday when I could pick it up, so I went ahead and set up the wide load permitting for Monday.

I arrived Monday morning at 0900 , none of the needed items had been addressed! The "mechanic" went to work right away on the XM wiring and the mast light, and we got the boat to the detail area for cleanup. Finally ready to start the trip to Surfside Marina at Freeport TX at 1400 hrs! Had to get out of Houston city limits before 1600,( by permit regulations, no oversize loads within city limits of Houston between 1600 and 1800 hrs), got out of town and to the marina at 1545.

Surfside Marina is a state-of-the-art dry stack and wet slip facility right on the Intracoastal Canal within a mile from the Freeport jetties, but with the time as late as it was upon arrival, and all the paperwork and meet/greet of the marina staff, I didn't have time to do much Whalerin' Monday. We got the boat off the trailer and launched into a wet slip, and even though there were ominous clouds and light rain, my wife still wanted to go for a little ride. The Canvas and eisenglass keeps the helm and outside lounge area dry, even with the back canvas/eisenglass panels removed, so I agreed and we eased out of the marina for a short trip down the intracoastal for about 1 hr round trip.

The boat handles like a boat that is MUCH bigger than the Whaler 27 name would indicate! The ride was better on the water than it was in the F-350! I was varying the throttle due to the requirements of the engine break-in, and had to keep rpm's below 3000 the first hour, but I was impressed immediately with the ride and handling below planning speeds.

I forgot to mention, we had to measure the boat for dry storage charges at the marina, and I was surprised a bit...I held the tape measure liberally in my favor, (shorter the boat, lower the charges-rate is by the foot length), but I could not make the measurement any shorter than 34' from the back of the engines on the Whaler Drive to the tip of the bow! 27' is the measurement of the boat at the water line WITHOUT the Whaler Drive! These are truly BIG little boats for sure!

We left the boat in a wet slip in the marina overnight and went into Lake Jackson to the Wurst Haus restaurant for some good German potato salad, beef rolls on noodles, and of course bratwurst and mustard before turning in at the LaQuinta for the night.

Tuesday we got a late start due to drizzle and wind with completely overcast conditions in the early morning, but the rain stopped mid morning and we headed back out to the Marina. I spoke with the tackle shop owner and delivered a couple of Penn/Dolphin electric reels I needed spooled to him, unloaded a lot of stuff into my storage locker at the Marina and loaded tackle and necessities on the boat.

I started the engines and pressed the startup for the electronics, but the electronics went dead during start-up. I have 3 house batteries and 2 starting batteries, all of my house batteries were dead-start batteries were 13.8 as they should be. After a bit of studying, and with the help of the certified Yamaha mechanic at the marina, we determined that LMC had not wired the auxiliary charging circuit at all on either engine! The only batteries being charged with the engines running were the start batteries! We rigged a jumper to the house batteries from the start battery charging circuit so I could get the engines broken-in and scheduled complete correction of the entire dual engine charging systems for next week. I finally left the dock about 1100 hrs with all electronics working.

My wife and I motor-yachted on the Intracoastal Canal for a couple of hours, and I got the break-in period where I could work the engines in the planning speeds for the boat...WOW! The boat rode like it was on glass in the Intracoastal and Brazos River channel! The Revolution 4 props had plenty of bite trimmed all the way in, but I had a slight list to port at planning speeds that I quickly adjusted out with the original trimtabs under the Whaler Drive. We had a great cruise while constantly varying the engines rpm's on the inland waterways, and we ventured about 20 miles west down the Intracoastal, dodging barges and porpoises along the way. On our return trip back to the east, I turned outward through the Freeport Jetties to the Gulf Of Mexico. The weather was clear, winds were about 12 knots SW however, I knew I would find some good testing waters out there at the end of the jetties.

We exited the jetties in 2-4' seas at about 3000 RPM's (varying still per break-in) and ran between 10 and 20 statute MPH both on plane and off out through the bouys in the shipping channel. It was rough at higher speeds, but the boat handled like a MUCH bigger boat, no water even sprayed into the windshield! All spray stayed OUTSIDE the boat, and the bow attitude was such that, even through the occasional 6' roller wave, no bow stuffing could occur. An occasional pound at slower speeds, but better ride with less pound at all speeds than I have ever experienced with a boat of this size class. This boat was riding the seas an handling every bit as well as a 38' Bertram, and in some ways, better! We turned around and headed back into the jetty after a couple of miles.

On the way in, I got a check engine light on the port motor and the engine shut down. When I reviewed the alarm screen, the only alarm was on the port trim sensor. I silenced the alarm, raised the dead engine and continued on course with only the starboard engine. We travelled with no problems on the starboard engine thru the jetties and around the corner into the Marina, where I backed the boat into a wet slip and secured it to the dock, then shut the starboard engine down with the key switch. I called up the alarm display after turning the ignition back on and there was NO ALARM! Both engines started with no problem and no alarms. I discussed all this with John, the Yamaha mechanic, and he will be checking out all the sensor connections next week. I had no other sensor/check engine shutdown for the rest of the time I spent on the water, but we could have a bad connection in the newfangled digital electric controls.

After a short break at the marina, my wife and I cast off for more engine break-in adventures for the rest of the beautiful October Texas day that had developed. We managed to get thru 7.5 hrs of break-in total for the day and returned to the marina and docked the boat in a wet slip for the night at about 1730 hrs.

We decided to dine at The Red Snapper Inn, a local Surfside restaurant we both like from way back. This restaurant is almost within sight of the marina, and we were hungry! I had the Snapper Pontchartrain, (this is the TX recipe Pontchartrain sauce-made with beef broth), and my wife had the crab cakes, we both had the seafood stuffed jalepenos for an appetizer and the signature crème brulee' served in full size gumbo cups for dessert. We reclined to the LaQuinta for the night after supper.

Wednesday morning we got an early start, coffee before daylight. We checked out of our campsite LaQuinta in Clute and headed over to what used to be Mendoza's in Richwood for the best breakfast tacos in the world. It has been a few years since we had been there, and we found hat the ownership and name of the restaurant has changed to Phat Boyz, but all the cooking personnel as well as the new owner were employed under the Mendoza's era at the same place. We got our monster-sized breakfast tacos with eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, and potatoes, and I always get carne guisado on mine as well, and we headed to the marina to eat.

We sat on the upper level patio at the marina overlooking the slip area of the marina and watched daylight break over the boats in the docks as we enjoyed the legendary breakfast of Texans. Sometimes, you just have to thank your lucky stars your in Texas, and this was sure one of those times. The temperature here was in the 60's as daybreak erupted, and it was in the low 80's by noon, on the 23rd of October! Wind was much more docile than Tuesday also.

We got underway from the marina with no drama and turned into the Intracoastal westbound towards the Brazos River/Freeport jetty intersection at planing speed. A large tanker ship was coming in from the offshore ship channel through the jetties towards the intersection. I slowed as I approached the intersection, and I heard over the radio a coast guard transmission from which I picked out the words "security" and "zone". I soon found out what a Coast Guard "security zone" is...suddenly, a Coast Guard boat about 20' or so appeared beside my vessel...complete with a manned 50 cal mounted on the bow deck...with an officer telling me I was entering a "security zone" around the tanker! I was informed that I needed to back out of the intersection immediately and hold in the Intracoastal Canal until the tanker was completely through the intersection and in the Old Brazos channel before I could continue to and through the Freeport jetties! So much for a no-drama morning!

Now, I have heard that a Boston Whaler can withstand a complete barrage of .50 cal auto fire and not sink...I think I have even seen pictures of this as a military test, but I decided to save first-hand knowledge one way or another on this issue for another day...and backed down. After about 30 minutes, the ship cleared the intersection and we headed on out through the jetties to a calm 1-3 ft sea.

In these seas the Whaler really shined. I was able to run up to 35-40 statute mph with ease and comfort, drinking my coffee at the helm. My wife was quite comfortable on the Tiara style lounge seating as I set a course for 150 deg through the shipping lanes, and turned to 180 degrees heading out past the bouys towards the inshore platform about 6 miles out. I was still varying speeds per engine break-in requirements, but I was getting there,I only needed a couple of more hours to complete the first 10.

As we approached the first platform, my wife took the helm...she said she didn't think she could hit anything, after all, it was the ocean! She brought us to the platform and I took over and circled it slowly a few times watching the new Garmin CHIRP sonar. I have never seen an equivalent clarity of returns on any sounder equipment...bait and fish were marked CLEARLY, and with the machine on split zoom, all levels of the water column are covered in crystal clear definition. I am sold on this technology.

We continued to the demo'd platforms and I was able to locate them on the sounder equipment with ease using the positions on the Garmin chartplotter...they were right where they were supposed to be, and LOADED with what appeared to be Mangrove snapper. My now-not-so-secret close to shore fishing hot spots were very easily located. I found and noted a weedline, but due to engine break-in requirements, I behaved responsibly and never wet a single line, trolling or on the bottom. The radar overlay from the Garmin xHD 604 open array system matched perfectly with the charts on the chartplotter. My entire electronics suite worked together in beautiful harmony! Man, I could be a salesman for Garmin...maybe I oughta send 'em a resume'? Might help with my fuel bill:)

We went out about 9 statute miles, (stayed inside TX waters), turned and retraced my course out in reverse the semi-old-fashioned way...by looking at the tracks on the chartplotter and using the original Ritchie compass on the Whaler helm to hold course. I should note that the compass showed identical heading readings as the chartplotter showed during all the motor break-in testing. I had been concerned that the compass might be affected by the proximity to the MFD's on the helm, but I had no problems with magnetic interference whatsoever.

We went back through the jetties to the ICW and headed west towards the New Brazos floodgates, finally getting through the 10 hour break-in period of varying engine RPM's! Got through the east gates to the huge, and at the time, barge-less, intersection of ICW and New Brazos River. I decided this would be the perfect spot to set up the Garmin, (of course:), auto-pilot. I had restrained myself from setting it up during the engine break-in because I did not want the temptation to just put the boat in auto and neglect my RPM varying duties...I think this shows excellent restraint and discipline...I deserve a cookie for sure!

The dockside and underway setup went smoothly, although the first attempt at the underway setup failed due to me holding a bit too low on speed during the automatic zig-zag pattering of the system. The second attempt at 1500 RPM was successful, and suddenly, my world changed. (Sorry about the drama here, but it is a remarkable system:)

I tested all the gadget patterns built in to the autopilot, the circles, u-turns, zig-zags, etc., etc. I then went back downriver and turned through the west floodgate of the intersection on the ICW, and put the engines in idle and concentrated on the chartplotter. I panned to the floating swing gate bridge about 20 miles west of the floodgates and selected a point in the ICW just before them, selected "navigate to" and then selected "guide to"...after approximately 20-30 seconds of calculation, the chartplotter drew a magenta line down the middle of the snake-like ICW and asked me to review this route, I did and acknowledged it, then the machine asked if I would like to engage the auto-pilot, I did...and WOW! The auto-pilot took over and actually steered the entire course, including bends and turns, perfectly for the next 20 miles! I went below into the cabin, made a drink, and returned to the helm...the boat just automatically drove itself around all obstacles, bends and turns at any speed I desired, including full throttle, (50.7 mph)! The radar worked in conjunction with both the auto-pilot and the chartplotter and warned me of any dangers, including barges, as it skippered the boat. The radar did not have to be overlayed on the chart in order to perform this function, or even displayed on the same MFD, I was looking at sonar and radar on a combination screen on the starboard side MFD with the chart running on the port MFD...the same magenta colored line was shown on the radar and the chart. I have never had it so good!

We finished out the day by running back to the marina on the ICW using the auto-guidance capability of the system, and I worked on performance stats and pictures of displays and engine conditions as we returned. We got back to the marina dock about 1330, and I had the boat removed to a stand. I hooked up the trailer and we went to Vernor Materials in Clute to get the first set of weights of the M/T trailer and my truck, separately, then returned to the marina, had the boat put on the trailer, back to Vernor for loaded weights on trailer, all for determination of certified weights that are required here in TX to transfer the registration from Wisconsin. I now have the required certified weights in hand, I should be able to finally get that trailer registered so I can use it for trade-in. We returned the boat and trailer to the marina, had the boat washed and engines flushed, and got it in dry-stack.

We had a pleasant drive back to Dripping Springs, but both my wife and I are now ready to go do some real fishing on the boat this next weekend! Pray for good weather and calm seas offshore Freeport this weekend...we are sure going to try if conditions are favorable. We are both ready for our next big Whaler adventure :)

I will get pictures on my Flickr site that go with this story and also with another thread I'll get started on the performance issues of the boat tomorrow. I will post the link here in this thread then.

For the weight of the boat, as certified today, see this link.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ost_116845

Edited by Silentpardner on 10/24/13 - 12:23 AM

ThatZip
#44 Print Post
Posted on 10/24/13 - 11:00 AM

Comments: 0

Impressive, indeed! Certainly, it does sound as if you gave her a thorough "shake-down" voyage, with everything functioning correctly and you even managed to enjoy yourselves in the process!

Our 27FC. has been moved slightly further south to another marina in Key Largo, where they charge only $100 per month for dry storage on a trailer, plus free in/out and discounted fuel.

So, I purchased a nice used trailer, which I was assured would be adequate and guess what, after it had been delivered we discovered that it certainly was not. So, that is back up for sale now and the search for a replacement recommences.

This weekend, we plan to clean the cabin, galley and head thoroughly, as well as to begin work upon that mess of an electrical system. The mechanic has been asked for quotes to repair the hydraulic system, trim tabs, engine lifters, etc. and to replace the two seized sea-cocks.

Some day we also actually might get to go out on the water for a pleasure cruise.

Safe boating!

Edited by Tom W Clark on 10/25/13 - 8:32 AM

jetajv
#45 Print Post
Posted on 10/24/13 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

Danny

EJO
#46 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/13 - 8:09 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

SP Your a lucky man with this great boat and crew.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Silentpardner
#47 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/13 - 8:25 AM
Personal Page

Here's the photo link, in case it is hard to find in my other thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99787852...920686884/

Yes , I know I am VERY lucky! Thanks for all the comments so far!

The sea conditions predictions don't look too good for the weekend, we may have to stay inshore and cruise...

Edited by Silentpardner on 10/25/13 - 8:27 AM

butchdavis
#48 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/13 - 5:04 PM

Silent,

What is the status of the generator installation we talked about earlier?

Butch

Silentpardner
#49 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/13 - 10:11 AM
Personal Page

Still In progress with the research for the best plan of attack on this part of the project and installation location. I am considering relocation of A/C equipment, and also considering building a new lounge seat pedestal under the Tiara style lounge seat out in the passenger deck area that could contain the generator, and still allow easy service access.

I am really leaning towards the under seating, above deck option. The main reason would be for service, the existing generator hold on the boat would be very hard to work inside to change oil and filters, it's pretty deep. Also, by fabricating an above deck housing, I can minimize CO emission problems while allowing for the use of a less complicated and easily replaceable air cooled generator. Since the Tiara lounge seating is all custom anyway, I don't think building a containment for the generator under it would detract from the aesthetics of the boat, and I believe it would be safer as far as gasoline fumes and exhaust.

The only drawback that I can see would be the weight on the passenger side of the boat vs. having the weight in the under deck hold in the center of the same area of the boat, affecting the center of gravity. I think this drawback is of minimal, as this are above deck is already used by passengers, and the generator would be like another passenger sitting above deck.

I am interested on any thoughts anyone has on this idea as it seems to me to be the best option at this time.

Edited by Silentpardner on 10/27/13 - 10:13 AM

Silentpardner
#50 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/13 - 4:54 PM
Personal Page

Both myself and my wife had a very pleasant excursion yesterday in our Whaler even though we were forced to stay inshore due to the rough sea conditions. About 1245 local, we took a trip out to the end of the jetties to look at the conditions, but we decided to turn around after a quick check. Seas were 5-7 and whitecapping.

On our return trip back into the Brazos Intersection, we spotted a classic Outrage 18 with a Yamaha 150 and 2 persons on it. This Outrage was VERY nice looking with a magnificent job on the wood gunnels. We turned back east on the ICW and got close enough to compliment the owner on the wood before turning back east. I considered continuing on without bothering the good folks on the Outrage, but it sure looked a LOT like our jvz's boat pictured on this site. It was pretty much impossible to converse on the water, next time we meet we should certainly go into that marina there where I caught up with them for a drink, that big blue and white building is Surfside Marina.

I have to ask, who was that mystery Outrage's owner? I know it's almost GOT to be someone on this site...will the owner of that beautiful Outrage please stand up? :)

The whole sighting thing apparently jinxed our outing in a way...shortly after the sighting, our starboard engine trim motor decided to just stay running and refused to be shut off! We had to end the day by putting in another work order at the marina to get this repaired. We still had a great day of Whalerin', and enjoyed a nice supper at the Wurst Haus in Lake Jackson before returning to Dripping Springs a day earlier than originally planned.

duf
#51 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/13 - 6:09 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Wow Pard, back and re-read your post, guy, either you take notes when your doing things, or you have one hell of a memory! What an adventure, with breakdowns (now we know why we have twins offshore), the coasties, no, looking down the barrel of what was fifties is not pleasent, rough seas, and obviously you and your wifes enjoyment of good food. Was a heck of a post, thanks for dedicating the time it took to put it together. I actually had to make two cocktails to slowly disect the entire post.

I also noted that your concerns on the boat being ready were correct, even with your early check in on it.....typical. But 100% agree with you on the unbeliveable way the bigger Whalers handle the big seas. I've never had a splash that wasn't wind driven from the side hit me, with either my 22's, and certainly not my 25. Still, never thought the overall length would be 34 feet. Thats a LARGE vessel.

Will be interested to see if your final adjustments to your engines gets you to 53 MPH, but thats my guess.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your continued shakedown and getting all the gremlins out, especially with all the new installations you did. You"ve identified several, but guessing you still have a couple out there.

Again, enjoying your very detailed posts!

Duf

Edited by duf on 10/27/13 - 6:11 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 8:41 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,042,293 unique visits