View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2012 130 Super Sport prop Question
2012whaler13SS
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/13 - 3:46 PM

Comments: 0

I recently purchased a 2012 130 Super Sport and finally had an opportunity to take it out for the first time today. The boat was purchased brand new and has a 40HP 4-stroke Merc. While running it today, I found that is struggled a bit to get out of the hole, but once on plan ran great. Boat was loaded with 2 people (300 lbs) 6 gallons on fuel and a battery. The boat has the stock black aluminum prop. Anybody have he same setup? Any way to improve hole shoot? Bigger prop? Stainless prop?

Edited by Joe Kriz on 03/24/13 - 4:03 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/13 - 4:14 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

A less pitch prop generally gives a better hole shot and less top end speed.

What brand and pitch of prop do you have now?
What is your WOT RPM's with this prop?

See this article in the link on the left sidebar which should get you started in the right direction.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...cle_id=108

jbrc124racing
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/13 - 6:56 PM
Personal Page

I have used a doel fin type hydro- foil and the hole shot sems pretty good and is a lot cheaper than a new prop, I also think it it handles better with the hydro foil, but I have
a 1960 13 with an evinrude 40 from 1995 on it

Edited by jbrc124racing on 03/24/13 - 7:00 PM
13ft custom center console with rear casting deck and 40 horse 2 stroke

Tom W Clark
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/13 - 8:54 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

The 2012 Super Sport 130 is a completely different boat tan a classic 13, and the 2012 Mercury 40 HP EFI FourStroke is a very different motor than a 1995 Evinrude 40.

Tom W Clark
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/13 - 9:04 PM
Personal Page

The 2012 Super Sport 130 is equipped with the EFI Mercury 40 HP FourStroke and Whaler puts the 10-3/8" x 14" Black Max aluminum three blade propeller on it. I suspect they use that prop to instead of the 14" stainless steel Vengeance because they can save $50 and the Vengeance is such a crappy model that it doesn't make much difference anyway.

The trouble for Mercury (and Whaler) is that for all the good propeller models they offer, they are almost all for large motors; they offer damn little for small and intermediate motors like 40 HP EFI FourStroke. To get a good prop with good performance, you need to look elsewhere.

For this boat I recommend the 12" x 12" Stiletto Star or Turbo Pontoon 1 model. The large diameter and large blade area propeller with low rake will help get your boat on plane fast without giving up any top speed. It is also one of the least expensive (at least under the Stiletto brand) stainless steel propellers made for you motor. You can get one for $200 delivered with the hub kit for the Mercury 40 HP EFI FourStroke.

tigermc
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/27/13 - 9:02 AM

Here is my two cents from a recent experience. I have a 1973 13' sport with a 40hp Yamaha. I know it is a completely different boat but the experience is still relevant. I had a 1994 Evinrude 40hp with 15" prop and a hydrofoil, no power trim. The hole shot was excellent. I repowered the boat with a 40hp Yamaha 15" prop, power trim and no hydrofoil. The hole shot was a struggle and the boat porposed unless trimmed perfect. I was reluctant but I added a SE Sport 200 hydrofoil from Bass Pro. The hole shot is amazing and the porposing is nonexistent. I will also add that the 15" prop on both engines run 42 mph. My boat is loaded with (2) marine batteries, 12gal. tank and a bow mount trolling motor.

joedag1
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/13 - 12:42 PM
Personal Page

I have the same boat 2011, I replaced the stock alu. prop with a Mercury Trophy sport 4 blade 13" P . The hole shot is much better, and 36 mph gps.

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/13 - 11:41 PM

Comments: 16

I think joedag1 has made the right decision to put the Mercury Trophy Sport 4 blade performance prop on his Merc 40 powered Whaler. At $249 delivered, it's only $49 more than the 3 blade aftermarket Stiletto prop.

I doubt if a propeller operation like Mercury runs has not covered the field with necessary props for their line of 4-stroke 40, 50 and 60 HP engines.

The original poster here has complained about poor acceleration from his 4-stroke engine with 3 blade aluminum prop. Afterall, we know that 4-stroke engines can be slower on acceleration, and we also know that 4 blade props are faster on acceleration than 3 blade versions. Which is why Mercury has recently intorudced a 4 blade aluminum prop called Spitfire for the 40-60 HP engines, for which they say improves acceleration with no loss of top speed. So within the realm of aluminum, this 4- blade prop should be a top performer.

We also know that their top-of-the-line prop for the 40-60 HP engines is the 4 blade Trophy Sport, and we see joedag1 is reporting faster acceleration and great top end on his 130 Whaler. Obviously, Mercury knew what they were doing here, producing their performance line for this size in 4 blades, not 3. They could have very easily made a 3 blade "Laser II Sport" if needed. Clearly they determined that a 4 blade model was the way to go for high performance on a 40-60HP 4-stroke, not 3 blade. This is also probably why the 4 blade aluminum was brought out.

For these 4-stroke 40-60hp engines (and the same block Yamaha 40-70's), they are basically telling us 4 blades is the way to go.

So my recommendation to the O.P. would be to use the 4 blade aluminum Spitfire @ $149 if cost is an issue, or the performance Trophy Sport at $249 for the best all around performance. You can mail order them direct from jacosmarine.com at the listed prices.

Silentpardner
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 7:05 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I went to the Mercury site and checked out exactly what they say about 3blade vs 4 blade props. Here is what I found:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propelle...of-blades/

The number of blades a prop manufacturer recommends is determined by what the customer requires of the boat it is being used on, I am unable to find any documentation in writing that ANY prop manufacturer actually says a 4 blade prop is better than a three blade prop, they all just say that if the motor is being run higher in the water it may need a 4 blade to reduce the added vibration. It appears that all the manufacturers seem to agree that a 3 blade prop is more efficient overall than a 4 blade prop, and some sacrifice in top end speed may result when using a 4 blade which could improve the hole shot.

I am certainly no prop expert, but I continue to study this currently for my own education.

Tom W Clark
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 7:15 AM
Personal Page

Fellas, there's a lot more to propeller selection than just the number of blades. Learn to read between the lines if all you can do is study marketing material.

What does a four blade propeller usually offer? More blade area.

When does one want more blade area? When the power to boat weight ratio is low and/or the propeller size is limited by gearcase size.

Silentpardner
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 7:54 AM
Personal Page

Tom W Clark wrote:
Fellas, there's a lot more to propeller selection than just the number of blades. Learn to read between the lines if all you can do is study marketing material.

Tom, I don't know you, but apparently you have access to more knowledge bases than the average guy out to get a prop for his boat. Perhaps you could provide us with links or names of books we could purchase to bring us up to speed with your obvious level of expertise in this area. I think this would help us all understand a lot about props. I can't speak for everyone of course, but "marketing material" as you call it, seems to be the ONLY material we all have access to, except for you, of course.

OKAY, just my 2-cents,

Since most of us don't actually know you or your actual accreditation in the field of prop selection, you seem to come off here as a know-it-all, just do it my way kind of guy every time someone tries to discuss a prop selection. If you could just PLEASE link us some direct references that we can all read and understand, (I think the average educational level on this site is at least above 5th grade), and maybe lose some of the "father knows best" attitude and NEVER EVER make a statement like "I doubt" that someone told you that...that is definitely flat-out calling someone a damn liar in my opinion as well as others here, these prop threads could become a LOT more educational for us guys that only need to get ONE prop for our ONE boat application. We might even be able to keep a few more folks around that may have expertise in other areas of boating with Whalers for longer than 10 posts looking for a good prop to try on a Whaler application.

Don't get MAD, post some links to material that directly backs up your suggestions on propping, or post some book titles...HELP us PLEASE, don't get offended because we are not "on your level" and treat us like a bunch of idiots.

Thank you In Advance
Jerry Mooney

Tom W Clark
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 10:03 AM
Personal Page

Jerry -- I have access to exactly the same knowledge bases as you and everybody else here does. I may have more experience exploring these knowledge bases and I may be better able to find the useful information within these resources, but that is open for debate.

By far the best source of propeller knowledge with a particular boat is personal experience. I have a lot of personal experience propping boats, especially Boston Whalers. Short of that, it is best to look to the fellow who has gone through the same propping process. This is one way that Whaler Central is valuable. There are thousands of threads here where Whaler owners share their experience. That is, after all, the whole point of having these discussion areas. Many of these discussions involve propping our Whalers, so using the search feature here is one way to quickly focus on information from other Whaler owners who have propped their boats and otherwise experimented with propellers.

Whaler Central is not the only web site with an online discussion area that talks about propping boats. I have spent a lot of time over the years reading about propellers on many sites. Among my favorite sites that have good discussions of propellers are:

WhalerCentral
ContinuousWave
The Hull Truth
Scream & Fly
Offshore Only

...but there are many, many others too.

I know a great deal about propellers, especially about propping Boston Whalers because of my personal experience and experimentation but also because I have studied a great deal, reading everything I can find on these web sites. I have also read everything on every propeller manufacturer's web site, studied all their offerings, perused all their catalogs, read all of their "general rule of thumbs" and I have also written a great deal about propellers. There is nobody here on WhalerCentral that knows as much about propellers as I do. Not even close.

But I am not the only knowledgeable person out there. A few exceptionally knowledgable people who contribute to these online discussions that you should pay particular attention to include:

Ken Reeves, owner of Prop Gods, a mobile propeller testing service in Florida. Nobody I know of has more personal experience propping outboard powered boats than Ken. Ken is a good and generous guy I have talked with over the years. http://www.propgods.com/

Brett Anderson, owner of BBlades Professionals, a nationally respected propeller shop in Wisconsin. Brett worked for Mercury for many years including managing Mercury Racing's propeller lab. I know of nobody anywhere with more propeller knowledge than Brett Anderson. http://bblades.com/

Jeff Whidden, International Sales Manager for PowerTech Propellers. Jeff sometimes joins these online discussions. http://www.ptprop.com/

If you like to read technical books (as I do), I suggest you get a copy of Dave Gerr's Propeller Handbook, published by International Marine, and read it. Bear in mind it is not a book specific to outboard motors, in fact quite the opposite; most of the discussion is about propellers for displacement speed hulls, but there is still much useful information in there that can be applied to outboard motor propellers as well.

Tom W Clark
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 10:03 AM
Personal Page

Jerry -- If you don't like my style, you're out of luck. I am what I am. Somebody recently described me as brusque. That is fair.

Brusque: Describes an abruptness of speech or manner that is not necessarily meant to be rude.

I like to think of my style as plain spoken. I mean simply and explicitly what I say and write. It is unfortunate when folks think I am saying something I am not. I have never called anybody a liar. If somebody says something that is incorrect, I may correct it and tell them they are wrong. If somebody says something ridiculous, they can expect to be ridiculed. I hope and expect to treated exactly the same way.

wing15601
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 11:50 AM

Hey, Jerry, I don't want to pile up on you but I just have to chime in. Tom has provided a whole lot of help to many many people regarding the proper propeller for their boat and motor combination. He gets paid exactly zero for his time and effort and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who can honestly say his advice has been wrong. I for one appreciate his dedication and effort and intend to follow his advice exactly when it comes to a prop for my Montauk with whatever engine I decide to mount on it.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Silentpardner
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/13 - 3:41 PM
Personal Page

Thank you VERY much for the links and the book suggestions Tom, I am definitely going to read all the suggestions you have made. I am studying the subject, and believe me, I see where you are active all over the net on this subject. Actually, I have found the perfect prop for the motor I am intending to repower with for my exact boat on another site. You were the one that recommended it there. I have the utmost respect for your knowledge on this subject, I never meant to imply otherwise. All I wanted was exactly what you just did, good solid reference material for study. I don't need to be as knowledgeable as you are because all I have is a couple of boats to prop. It just seems that everytime the discussion gets interesting on props around here, somebody gets mad, and the discussion gets ruined.

Edited by Silentpardner on 04/21/13 - 3:47 PM

tmann45
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/13 - 9:03 AM

Tom W Clark wrote: Somebody recently described me as brusque. That is fair.

Sorry Tom, I can't agree with you on this point.

I find you to be concise.

concise: Giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.

Finnegan
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/13 - 1:58 PM

Comments: 16

Tom - Since you have been selected to help out as a Moderator here, I am surprised and disturbed at this comment:

"If somebody says something ridiculous, they can expect to be ridiculed".

Ridiculing someone because *YOU* think they are not knowledgeable sure sounds like a personal attack to me. You seem to think it's all right to act that way.

Doesn't Joe prohibit personal attacks here, and don't we all agree not to do that when we sign up?

gary0319
#18 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/13 - 5:10 PM
Personal Page

2012whaler13SS wrote:
I recently purchased a 2012 130 Super Sport and finally had an opportunity to take it out for the first time today. The boat was purchased brand new and has a 40HP 4-stroke Merc. While running it today, I found that is struggled a bit to get out of the hole, but once on plan ran great. Boat was loaded with 2 people (300 lbs) 6 gallons on fuel and a battery. The boat has the stock black aluminum prop. Anybody have he same setup? Any way to improve hole shoot? Bigger prop? Stainless prop?

It seems to me that the OP asks here for some first hands on experience with "the same setup". Any of the rest of this is just foolishness and personal issues that contributes absolutely nothing to this thread.

Take it out back boys!!

Gary

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Tom W Clark
#19 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/13 - 6:56 PM
Personal Page

Gary -- You are absolutely correct. The subject here is the propping of 2012whaler13SS's boat. Unfortunately, Larry has a long history of derailing threads like these with rather absurd comments.

1mge
#20 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/15 - 10:04 AM

Hi Tom saw many post from you regarding props on smaller Whaler. I just bought 2008 Whaler 130 sport with 40 hp 4 stroke merc. Has OEM 10.3 X 14 pitch and complete dog getting on plane. I think WOT is 6,000 and I'm bout 5,200. From reading your previous posts do you think that stiletto star 12 x 12 is what I need or the 4 blade 10.6 x 12? Was concerned about big jump in diameter but I need different prop. Naples, Fl so mostly back water, sand bar shuttle with 3-4 people, maybe kid on tube. Don't need crazy WOT speed. thx mike. iboats has stiletto start 12x12 with guardian hub (part#801212) for $168

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 7:01 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.45 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,696,068 unique visits