View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What Did You Do For Your Whaler Today?
action
Posted on 04/18/15 - 11:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Launched my new to me Montauk 17 from the public ramp in Ocean City NJ and took it for a run to Corson's Inlet and back. A little chilly but it ran great!

gary0319
Posted on 04/18/15 - 5:52 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Went fishing with my best friend. First outing since installing the new battery. 800 cranking amps spun the Merc 60 2 stroke to life in a hurry.

I stopped counting once we got to 20 fish in the boat. Speckled Trout, Bluefish, Ladyfish, Black Seabass, Sail Cats, and 4 small sharks.

Heck of a day, Ollie....

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Jsharpe
Posted on 04/20/15 - 8:54 PM

I had my 2003 Montauk detailed and bottom painted. Then I had my mechanic install a battery switch, a second battery, engine serviced, and installed a gas/water separator. Then I purchased a lowrance hds 7 touch gen 2 with gps, depth /fish finder with side scan and structure,a sonic hub, and marine speakers. All ready to go fishing I just need Mother Nature to cooperate.

spuds
Posted on 04/23/15 - 3:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

As an Earth Day present to my 1961 Nauset, I called my local family owned Evinrude dealer, and bought a brand new, clean running, ETEC 90hp for her.

Should have it installed by Saturday. Feel like a kid waiting on Christmas,

1985 Outrage 18

bob camire
Posted on 04/23/15 - 6:11 PM

Comments: 4

Good 4 you Spuds, a new 90 Evinrude is gonna be sweet on that boat..send us a pix..congrats

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

porthole2
Posted on 04/27/15 - 11:02 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Put a brand new Loadrite Elite under it. Can't give towing a try yet, as the wrong wheels are on the trailer, waiting now for the aluminum's to come in.

I am really surprised how many people have boats for sale - without trailers - the wrong trailer (rollers) or trailers that are barely road worthy. Have yet to see a used boat/trailer that had working brakes.

Thanks, Duane

porthole2
Posted on 04/27/15 - 11:05 AM
Personal Page

Jsharpe wrote:lowrance hds 7 touch gen 2 with gps, depth /fish finder with side scan and structure,a sonic hub, and marine speakers.

I have the HDS 7 Gen 3 waiting to go on the boat. I only got the one transducer so far though, side scan version.

A little frustrating - I refused to open the manual and it took me a half hour to figure out how to turn off the simulator. I sure do miss the days of the original Northstar 95* series of GPS units that needed no manual to figure everything out.

Thanks, Duane

porthole2
Posted on 05/08/15 - 1:29 AM
Personal Page

Started the lengthy and costly process of making my new to me 17 Outrage mine,
For starters got the replacement wheels and found out I have two damaged studs.
Then found spongy brakes. After bleeding brakes on my brand new trailer, a leaking master cylinder.
Added socket for another eBay score, a "local to me" Power Caster III in great shape
The boat - making it mine.
Had my wife stitch up the tears in the console cover
Repaired or replaced:
Bow and stern lights, LED's
VHF and chart plotter sounder Standard GX-2200, Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3, side scan and CHIRP transducers
Flush mount, with battery disconnect and USB Cgarge port
GAM 22 VHF antenna
Moved oil tank to console, in battery box with cutout for level
Replaced many wires
Adddd fuse block
Low voltage didconnect relay with remote switch (instead of 2nd battery)
Low profile bilge pump in live well
Recovered backrest (build up old to fit 9.5" cover)
eBay score for complete fusion set
Replaced missing RPS hinge with simple stainless Bimini parts
Replaced sun burnt gauges (Yamaha MFG's) with a miss matched non working set (originals were sun burnt)
New panel for gauges
Flag pole (small)
Found 4 screw holed under oil tank that were never sealed :-(
Sealed 3 of them, drilled a 1" + hole (whatever size the bait well plugs are) in the last to help dry it out
Replaced bulb fuel line
Re-bed Bimini attachments
Fortress anchor and new rode, with some 1/4" stainless chain I had
Started repair process of holes drilled in top of console, several chips and voids on top sides
Cleaned up a lot of the black mold
Doubled the screws on the console to deck attachment (most were loose)
Installed a Marinco battery charger I had laying around with a shore power connector
I'm sure there is more I don't recall sitting here in pain after tripping over one of the wheel chocks and landing on my elbow.

Thanks, Duane

bob camire
Posted on 05/09/15 - 5:12 PM

Comments: 4

Duane, thats the longest list of work ive seen yet..u should be commended for all the hard work..I know what its like tho, i got addicted to movin forwrd makin mine personal..expensive hobby ! good 4 u..its gonna be a nice float' tks for sharing

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

action
Posted on 05/10/15 - 1:30 PM
Personal Page

Went out in the great egg harbor inlet fishing but only got a few sharks.

porthole2
Posted on 05/10/15 - 7:59 PM
Personal Page

Maiden launch, test ride, recover - and all went smooth. But there is still little water in Shark River.....

Thanks, Duane

huckelberry145
Posted on 05/20/15 - 6:55 PM

Comments: 3

Now that I have installed a Perko switch, I finally consolidated all of my accessory circuits to one battery and have the cranking battery exclusive to the engine. I can crank the engine with battery #1 and then switch to battery #2 if it needs charging, especially on the days where I'm using the trolling motor a lot. Also, now that I have done this I don't have multiple leads stacked on the battery terminals, which from what I understand is not a good practice. After the holiday, I will shorten the engine control cable. I have about eight feet of it doubled up behind the mahogany seat clamps. By the time I'm done I will have removed five pounds worth of unnecessary wire.

WE Whaler
Posted on 05/26/15 - 3:27 AM
Personal Page

I finally started "restoring" my 1965 13' Sport. I spent Sunday removing the engine, stripping the interior and then giving the boat a good scrub with Crud Cutter. Then I removed the non-factory rub rail that was attached with screws every 4" - 6". Yeah, LOTS of screw holes to repair. I removed the non-factory bow light and found it was stuck in with Marine Tex. I pulled a fiberglass cap that had been placed over the transom and that was covering the stencil number. The cap was evidently there because a previous clamped on engine had worn through the gel coat and edge of the fiberglass and caused the fiberglass on the transom to start to delaminate. So now I need to fix that, fill a BUNCH of screw holes, fix a crunched spot on the port side of the bow and then repaint. Yeah, you, I know. Gel coat is better and lasts longer. And if I had the time, facilities and extra money I'd go that way. Once I get a little further along with this project I'll look in to doing a project album.

porthole2
Posted on 05/29/15 - 8:49 AM
Personal Page

Decided the 1997 17 Outrage just wasn't going to cut it for mixed company, given the 17 OR is about twice as big as our previous 15 CC.
So there is now a 1999 21 Outrage with a head next to the 17.

Thanks, Duane

action
Posted on 05/29/15 - 4:03 PM
Personal Page

Took it fishing

GFC
Posted on 06/05/15 - 1:45 PM

We took our 13' Super Sport out for some exercise today. It was a beautiful day to be on the water--mid 80's, zero wind and only a few other boats on the water. We cruised a few miles up river to a dock in Richland so we could tie up then walk up to the Farmers' Market.

When we got there, this little boat was already tied up so we tied on the opposite side of the dock.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...skceod.jpg

Wait a minute. You mean you can't see our Whaler? Here's a better shot. I guess the "Rule of Tonnage" would apply in this situation.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...oinnng.jpg

Here's my Admiral and 5-year old First Mate. He drove most of the way up there and all the way back. On my lap, of course.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...pkfpft.jpg

Edited by GFC on 06/05/15 - 1:47 PM

action
Posted on 06/05/15 - 2:05 PM
Personal Page

One of my bow rail screws holes near the center console was stripped and vibrating. I drilled it with a #11 bit and put a stainless rivet in. It looks nice and seems tight. I'll let you know how it holds up.
The heavy duty hand rivet tool recommended in a post here from Amazon had no problem setting the stainless rivet.

Mgreen111
Posted on 06/05/15 - 2:19 PM

Just paced an order with Mike at Nautical Lumber in Michigan or a teak anchor/ live well cover for my boston whaler v-20. They do awesome work. Looking forward to it!

Mike

maxmanta
Posted on 06/06/15 - 5:56 PM

Moved my new Whaler from my friend's yard to her permanent home. Washer her deck, tested her electronics. Tomorrow I'm going to fill some chips in the hull gelcoat and give her a good polishing. Painting the hull below the waterline comes next. Looking to launch for the first time next week.

Jsharpe
Posted on 06/08/15 - 12:45 PM

Caught the first fish on my new to me boat, a keeper fluke.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 12:02 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.50 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,977,928 unique visits