View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Deck Caulk
cdnwhaler
#21 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/11 - 6:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I still have a full tube left Kamie. Colour is #450 Beige.
I originally used it a number of years ago, maybe 4, and if I had problems I think I'd know. Not the fuel tank area but an Outrage 22 has the fish well behind the fuel tank cavity that I use for storage. I've never seen water dripping in from above through the seams. A year ago my VRO was smashed up a bit and spread oil across the floor, the seams, and into the well. It was a real mess and I had a heck of a time cleaning it up. Ended up taking that section of the floor up. Saw no seam leakage concerns?

Edited by cdnwhaler on 06/10/11 - 6:18 PM
1984 Outrage 22

ToddSky
#22 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/11 - 6:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

TacoHunter wrote:
Hi Todd, I just finished and 1 tube was enough, but they're only 5 bucks so I got 2.

I taped it off with painters tape, did 1 side at a time. I slopped it in there real good, then went over it with a popsicle stick to smooth it out.

Never used a caulk gun before this in my life Smile ... we'll see how it turns out.

Well at least I have used a Caulk Gun before! lol How did the color look? I look on the threat and that OSI Quad 004 color looks really good but I am afraid to use it because others say that it stays tacky and does not fully set up. I fear I will have white footprints all over my deck. Funny we have the same boat and the same issues. I did by a rub rail kit from Twin City Marine (about $400) and still have that to install and I ordered all new decals ($75.00) from Magic Brush both sponsors of this site and very nice customer service people to deal with. Very well informed. This site is a great tool for new Whaler owners. I like the sound of that!

newt
#23 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/11 - 8:52 AM

Blackduck, allow me to explain my reasoning that you disagree with. I've owned two Whalers with below deck gas tanks. On both boats, the tank cavity was wet, regardless of the condition the caulking is in. The main entry point for water in both cases was the hole in the deck where the fuel fill line is. Every time water flows on the deck, water gets into the tank cavity. On the 25 Revenge, if the rigging tunnels fill up high enough, water flows right into the tank cavity. In fact, on the 25 Revenge, most of the seams in the deck are over the rigging tunnels. I've actually found that with the caulking removed, water on the deck drains much faster into the rigging tunnels and to the sump pump.

I find it hard to believe that Whaler intended the tank cavity to be dry, because the boats simply aren't designed that way. Perhaps your 18' Outrage is different. I have never owned one, so cannot comment on their design.

Blackduck
#24 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/11 - 10:35 AM
Personal Page

The point where the fuel fill enters is the second design flaw, if you will, in these boats. Water can flow directly into the cavity from this tunnel. However, it is a flaw that is easily corrected. You simply use silicone caulk to create a dam to keep water from getting under the side access panel. This is the only other point, other than an overfilled rear sump that water can enter, as long as the deck cover is sealed and the access plates are tight.

As I said earlier, BW assumed that the foam would no allow water to enter, and therefore, yes, they were comfortable with water running over the tank. And in most cases, water in this area, for a short period of time, will not get down and around the tank, unless the foam has pulled free of the tank. Replacing bad calk, and fixing the side panel issue will keep virtually all water out of the cavity.

Edited by Blackduck on 06/11/11 - 10:59 AM
Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

ToddSky
#25 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/11 - 5:03 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

kamie wrote:
I used OSI Quad Caulk the last time I did mine, with no issues. Starbrite no longer makes the correct color, which is why Sue switched to OSI.

CDNWhaler, do you have the color number to the OSI caulk?

Color OSI 004 was mentioned in the threat.

kamie
#26 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/11 - 5:39 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

yes, and I mentioned it looking at their online color chart. I would go with cdnwhaler #450 since i am not looking at the actual product.

Danny Ramsey
#27 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/11 - 3:01 PM
Personal Page

I also had water coming over the fuel tank area. recommend replacing the fuel supply line and vent line with ethanol resistant type hoses then seal the side panel. Its easy to see how water gets in when washing the boat. I have also built a raised area to divet water from the control cables under the center console. 1983 Outrage 18

Edited by Danny Ramsey on 06/12/11 - 3:04 PM

MBJarrett
#28 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/11 - 6:32 AM

Does anyone have experience with Big Stretsh caulk? They make an almond color and big stretch has always been my "go to" caulk for household needs.

Tom W Clark
#29 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/11 - 6:39 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Big Stretch is a good latex caulk. I use it as a painter's caulk at times but I would never use it on my boats.

MBJarrett
#30 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/11 - 6:49 AM

May I ask why?

Tom W Clark
#31 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/11 - 7:15 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Latex caulk will be neither as durable nor as resilient as a good polyurethane or polysulfide caulk.

MBJarrett
#32 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/11 - 8:15 AM

I see. Thanks for the info.

grahamh
#33 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 9:09 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would revive it.

I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Sue from Twin Cities Marine. I called to order some Starbrite silicone caulk for my deck - fortunately she asked what I was trying to do.

Starbrite was the OEM sealant, but they no longer make the correct color. She told me that Twin Cities has spent a long time exhaustively researching the best alternative - contacting companies etc. What they have been using for years - without problems - is OSI Quad caulk #450.

I asked what they are using to seal under deck plates (Beckson says only use silicone) and they use the same Quad caulk.

Thought others would be interested in knowing.

Graham

Blackduck
#34 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 10:22 AM
Personal Page

I find it interesting that OSI Quad caulk is only rated by the company as water resistant, not waterproof. It is also not for use underwater. In my world, this is not a marine product.

Walter Reynolds

kamie
#35 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 2:06 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Blackduck wrote:
I find it interesting that OSI Quad caulk is only rated by the company as water resistant, not waterproof. It is also not for use underwater. In my world, this is not a marine product.

If your deck is always under water, you have bigger issues than the caulk on the deck.

The color on the tube I have is #450 as well. there is no way to totally seal the water from under the deck all you are trying to do is to keep the majority of it flowing over the deck and into the sump where it can drain. Whaler never designed the tank cavity to be 100% dry.

Edited by kamie on 08/02/11 - 2:08 PM

Blackduck
#36 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 2:16 PM
Personal Page

If your boat is left outside every night, and you live in a climate like mine, your deck is wet for 8 or more hours every night, all summer long. the people who sell that caulk do not even recommend using it to seal gutters.

Walter Reynolds

JohnnyCW
#37 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 2:28 PM

Anybody been using the OSI Quad caulk for more than a season or two? If so, how is it holding up?

mtown
#38 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 3:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

My two cents. OSI has been a very good caulk for the 30 + years I have used stuff like this. I never saw it sold as marine caulk nor was quad sold as such. Quad is a very sticky, flexabile, strong caulk used extensively by siding contractors for vinyl [where it will not be painted] and for wood where paint may be necessary. I would use silicone if I thought the deck ect. may have to come up in a two year time frame as it is very easy to remove cleanly. If I were not planning to remove the caulked item for a long time and really cared about the color that much, I would not hesitate to use quad.

kamie
#39 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 5:42 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

JohnnyCW wrote:
Anybody been using the OSI Quad caulk for more than a season or two? If so, how is it holding up?

I re-caulked the deck when i put the boat back together in 2007 and the caulk still looks good.

if your going to put it down, make sure you tape off the deck and try to cover the boat while it skins over so you don't end up with a lot dirt stuck in the caulk.
the first time I ever re-caulked the deck, I didn't cover the boat and was picking out pine needles for a couple days.

John Coryea
#40 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/11 - 6:39 PM

OK guys-
I'm following the thread on deck caulking..am confused.
One says use OSI #450, ones says Starbrite,but no longer available..what is the definitive product to use on my deck cover? I have a 1988 outrage 18 and do not plan on raising the deck any time soon... I just want the present caulk to look better. That presents another question...which caulk will adhere to the factory stuff? Thanks,
John

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 9:26 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,976,440 unique visits