View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Personal Page Making 101
Joe Kriz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/05 - 5:42 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I see that many people are trying to make their own Personal Web Page here on this site.

For those of you having difficulties I think I can help.
Number one, read the tutorial here.
Personal Page Tutorial

Number two, DO NOT put any apostrophies ' in your web page. They will not work.

Again, do not use any apostrophies '.

If you try to put Joe's web page, it will not work.
You have to put Joes web page without the ' apostrophy...

Give that a try and your web pages will work.

Again, follow the tutorial. Just make your title first and see if that works. Once you get the title working then all you have to do is add your photos.
IMPORTANT:
Keep your photos 640x480
Name them in lowercase .jpg (NOT .JPG)
Before uploading your photos, make sure there are NO spaces or strange characters in the photo title as they will not work properly.
Example:
joes boat.jpg will not work
joes_boat.jpg should upload if the file size is not over the limit.
Do not use quotation marks ", ', #, !, etc.., or the photos will not work properly.
Do not use parenthesis ( ) in the name of the photos or you will not be able to delete the photos later.

To make your photo files smaller or convert them to different formats like .jpg, you will need a helper application.
For Windows users, try Irfanview:
Download Irfranview

For Apple users, try PhotoExpress:
Download PhotoExpress

Apple users can also use iPhoto that is included with their computer. This may also depend on what resolution the photo was taken with and the settings of the camera.

If you need further help, just email me. My email is in my profile.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/07/09 - 2:55 PM

jorders
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 9:22 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

thanks Joe. i am probably one of the offenders that you noticed. i am not the most savy person with the computer, so i had to ask my IT person to come in and reduce the picture and upload it. i want to put more pictures on here. where should i load them to?

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 10:39 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

jorders,

I had to reduce your photo from 800x600 to 640x480.
If you notice you will see your one photo in your personal page now.
The reason for the 640x480 is not everyone has a large monitor. If the photo is larger than 640x480 it can throw the entire page out of whack for those that have smaller monitors.
Thanks.

Everyone,

FIRST:
The first place to put photos is in your personal page.
Too many members think the place to put photos is in the forum section.
This is NOT the place to put photos as photos can slow down the loading of the entire post along with many other reasons.
It is acceptable to put one or two photos in a forum post to get a members point across. Nothing more.

SECOND:
Once a member has a personal page and it's getting full, the next place to put photos could be either their own project album, if they have a project, or a photo album.
Project albums are for projects and photo albums are for unusual items like trips, rendezvous, or something else out of the ordinary, etc...

THIRD:
To have a project or photo album, a member must first have a personal page and it's getting full of photos.
One of the reasons for this is, if a member can't create and maintain a personal page then they probably won't be able to manage a project or photo album.
To create a project or photo album, the member must contact us first for approval.
Once approved, we will create the album for you and the rest is up to the member. They will be in complete control of their album.

Hope this helps explain the differences of the different types of pages available to our members.
1. Personal Page
2. Photo Album
3. Project Album

So, for everyone with a personal page, please keep the photos to 640x480.
No larger and no smaller.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/07/09 - 1:27 PM

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/09 - 1:22 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

IMPORTANT:
One other piece of advice here for members deleting their personal page..
Keep this in mind, when you delete your page you are also deleting all of your past comments and your past page count along with your original start date. Everything will be set back to the beginning.....
You will be starting all over from scratch. So, unless you are intending to do this, this is a heads up.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/10/09 - 12:09 PM

jharrell
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/09 - 1:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

One thing I don't see mentioned is not only can photos not be more than 640x480 they cannot be more than 120kb in size. I ran into this after resizing my images, they ended up slightly over 120kb and the site still would not accept them, I had to lower the jpeg encoding quality as well slightly to get them down to 119kb.

Edited by jharrell on 10/07/09 - 2:07 PM

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/09 - 2:39 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Hi jharrell,

Actually it says the size right in the "Image Upload" window in the personal page section...
Maximum Imagesize: 125Kb

The programs we list for reducing the photo usually reduces the size to less than 125 kb depending on what camera and resolution you took the photo with.
If a person takes a photo with a 15 Mega Pixel camera at the largest resolution, then the file size may be larger and will need to be reduced further...

Hope this helps clarify things.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/10/09 - 12:08 PM

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/09 - 4:14 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

One last thing about personal pages if you haven't seen it elsewhere.

The personal pages are NOT for items for sale.
We do not want to turn the personal page section into a classified section...
The words "For Sale" or anything equivalent to that will be removed by an administrator.

If you have items for sale, please post them in the forum section under Classifieds or post them on our site dedicated to items for sale or items wanted which is the Whaler Mall. http://www.WhalerMall.com

Thank You...

ioptfm
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/09 - 5:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Joe
Somewhat along the same lines.........when you add a clickable URL how to you make it a word to click on instead of the actual URL............For example being aboe to click on the word Whaler Central instead having the www.whalercentral.com in a post?

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/09 - 5:39 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Hi Tom,

It would look like this without the spaces as spaces will not work properly;

[ url=http://www.whalercentral.com ] Whaler Central [ /url ]

and without the spaces, only Whaler Central will show up as the clickable link and everything else is hidden.
Whaler Central

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/07/09 - 5:41 PM

motoboat
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/02/15 - 4:16 PM

Comments: 2

I'm trying to upload a picture for my avatar but the file id JPG, how do i reset it to lower case? Also the size needs to be reduced. When I had a windows based pc it was much easier now I'm using a macbook and it doesn't seem to work the same in this regard. Thanks for any help. I love this site having bought my first Whaler I'm looking forward to sharing my restoration. Mike

Bucci
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/20 - 9:14 AM

Comments: 0

Good morning Tom, I’m trying to set up my personal and boat information on the website and I’m using an Apple iPad how should I upload the photos it does not work. I’m sure you heard this 10 million times very anti-intuitive. Again I’m not using a PC I’m using an iOS Apple products.

Thanks,
Marc

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 12:59 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,037,625 unique visits